Friday, May 30, 2008

How I Became Healthy Update Part 3 - Transformation

It has been about three months since I started to change my eating habits in accordance with my self-designed Seemingly Useless Diet and I have decided to provide yet another update (The first and second update and the Seemingly Useless Diet FAQ can be found here).

I have lost about 20 pounds (12% of my body weight) and I am definitely much leaner. I have managed to lose mostly body fat without sacrificing muscle strength. This is confirmed not only by the physical appearance of my body but also the fact that I can lift more weights and perform more intensive cardio workouts than before I started this diet. I still have not had any problems staying away from deep fried foods, junk foods, pork and candy. I believe this is due to the psychological approach mentioned in the Seemingly Useless Diet article.

Also my yearly checkup has shown that I am the healthiest I have ever been with very good levels for cholesterol and blood pressure. I was initially afraid that I would not get enough nutrition but I am actually at healthier levels for the necessary bodily vitamin levels.

I think the key point is focusing on what you CAN eat rather than what you CAN NOT eat. It is much easier to compile a list of things you should stock in your fridge and pantry and then stock only those things than to always have to choose and put your willpower to the test. Any food that is not on the "approved" list, should not be considered as food anymore. Would you put anything but gasoline into your car?

Dieting is not hard and I think there are many ways to get there. The key point is do you really want to get there.  


No comments: